1832 The Saugatuck Fire Company formed, with 16 volunteer fire fighters.
1841 First Vigilant Engine Company fire station built on Wilton Road, just beyond the intersection with the Post Road.
1877 Westport Reading Room and Library Association formed.
1884 Westport Fire Department formed.
1886 Westport Library Association granted charter by the state, with original location on the second floor of the Hurlbutt building on State St.
1887 Cedar Point Yacht Club formed.
1889 Westport Historical Society established.
1891 The house at 25 Avery Place is left to Julia Wheeler, becoming known as "Wheeler House," later the home of the Westport Historical Society.
1897 Westport Parents and Teachers Association formed.
1907 August 12 The Woman's Town Improvement Association is formed, with the goal of improving Westport's roads. The WTIA eventually became the Westport Woman's Club, located on Riverside Ave.
1917 Westport Board of Finance established, with its members independently elected for oversight of Westport's finances after the town unexpectedly ran out of money.
1917 Harry Houdini appears at an event in Saugatuck sponsored by the Westport Woman's Club to raise money toward the war effort.
1917 May Westport Chapter of the American Red Cross formed.
1919 November 6 American Legion Post 63 formed.
1923 The Hunt Club founded.
1924 Homeowners in the Compo Beach area form the Compo Beach Improvement Association.
1924 March 26 Westport Rotary Club founded.
1924 April 11 Westport Garden Club founded.
1927 Westport Chamber of Commerce formed.
1929 E. T. Bedford donates an indoor swimming pool to the YMCA.
1932 Save the Children Foundation established.
1934 Westport Arts Committee formed, under the Works Progress Administration of Franklin Delano Roosevelt. The Committee sponsored creation of 34 original pieces of art and 120 photographs of Westport by 1938, when the Committee was dissolved.
1938 The Woman's Town Improvement Association becomes the Westport Woman's Club.
1938 Camp Mahackeno founded.
1939 First Beach Commission formed.
1940 The first Yankee Doodle Fair is held.
1944 The Bedford Fund acquires the three-story home at 87 Imperial Ave. as headquarters of the Westport Woman's Club.
1945 William S. Hart donates $100,000 in honor of his sister to establish the Connecticut Humane Society on the Post Road.
1946 Birchwood Country Club formed.
1947 Lucille Lortel launches the White Barn Theatre and Museum.
1950 The Bedford Fund acquires the Sunday school meeting house of the Saugatuck Congregation Church, and moves it in two sections to form the auditorium of the Westport Woman's Club at 87 Imperial Ave.
1951 June 15 Westport Little League formed.
1956 Westport Community Theatre founded, known as the Westport Players.
1956 Ruth Steinkraus-Cohen founds the International Hospitality Committee of Fairfield County.
1956 Westport Young Woman's League formed.
1957 Westport's "garbage crisis," finally solved when the Westport Woman's Club agrees to a landfill on its site at the edge of the Saugatuck River. In October, the Woman's Club sends out invitations for a tea party to be held on top of the dump. About 500 people show up for the festivities.
1958 Annual Roast Beef Dinner at the Rotary Club established by Ed Mitchell.
1958 June Mid-Fairfield County Youth Museum Association founded.
1959 November 18 Saugatuck Harbor Yacht Club formed.
1961 The New World Affairs Center opens on Taylor Place.
1961 Sportsmen of Westport founded.
1969 September Project Renaissance, a self-help drug treatment program, opens its doors in response to widespread drug and alcohol abuse in Westport.
1971 Downtown Merchants Association formed, to promote business and raise money for beautification and maintenance in the downtown area.
1973 Westport Historic District Commission established.
1973 The Alcohol and Drug Dependency Council is founded in Westport.
1974 Mid-Fairfield County Youth Museum Association becomes the Nature Center for Environmental Studies.
1974 Westport Girls Softball League formed.
1980 Westport Community Action Now is founded, to help prevent alcohol and drug abuse.
1981 Sidney Kramer founds Save Westport Now, an organization calling for a halt to commercial development until a new town plan is completed.
1981 Westport psychologist David Singer founds Mohonk House, a home for boys aged 12-18 who are orphaned, from divorced families, or otherwise unable to live with their families.
1981 February 23 Wheeler House, at 25 Avery Place, is purchased from Christ and Holy Trinity Church as home of the Westport Historical Society.
1984 The Italian Festival is organized by the Sons of Italy of Westport.
1985 Project Return is launched, providing a home for seven young women at a time in a renovated building on North Compo Road.
1985 Westports of the World (WOW) is founded, linking 28 towns named Westport all over the world.
1986 John Huminski, a Westport resident born with cerebral palsy, founds "I Can Do It Too," a non-profit organization sponsoring athletes, disabled or able-bodied.
1987 The large salt marsh at Wilton Road and King's Highway North is given to the Aspetuck Land Trust.
1988 Paul Newman founds The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp a nonprofit, year-round center serving children and their families coping with cancer, sickle cell anemia, and other serious illnesses.
1995 Westport forms a Sister City program with the city of Yangzhou, China to promote cultural exchange.
2000 The Staples Players, under the direction fo Judy Luster, are chosen to represent the United States at the Edinburgh Theatre Festival.